Our skin is this amazing organ that protects all our internal body systems from external factors, but what protects our skin? The answer is.. Your Skin Barrier. You’ve probably heard about it, it’s what keeps your skin looking and feeling healthy. So let’s get familiar with it.
What is a Skin Barrier?
Our skin is made up of cells, proteins, ceramides and of course the skin barrier. Your skin barrier is also a defense mechanism for your skin, keeping out the nasties like pollution and radiation, and protecting other layers of your skin. It also acts as a seal to maintain moisture levels and keep the skin hydrated, and transports nutrients to your skin. All of these functions determine how plump and healthy your skin looks and feels.
Lack of hydration and environmental factors are the two main contributors to skin barrier damage and a compromised skin barrier can cause your skin to appear dull and feel rough. Signs of a compromised skin barrier may include redness, dryness, increased breakouts, sebum production, and sensitivity.
So, how do I keep my skin barrier in great shape?
It’s possible to repair a damaged skin barrier, but we all know prevention is better than cure. So try to get ahead of any potential damage by following these skincare habits to improve your skin barrier:
- Relax: High stress-levels can negatively impact your skin, and weaken your skin barrier. Stress-management is one of the keys to keeping your skin healthy and happy.
- Don’t use too many active ingredients: Establishing a comprehensive regimen is important but don’t go overboard and layer powerful ingredients such as vitamin C, retinol and acids as it could make your skin barrier more sensitive. Do your research to ensure everything you’re using works well together and doesn’t leave your skin feeling stripped.
What ingredients support a stronger skin barrier?
Increased breakouts, dryness, roughness and tight skin are all signs of a damaged skin barrier. Try incorporating these ingredients into your routine to repair and restore your skin:
- Hyaluronic acid - The OG hydration multiplier, hyaluronic acid can hold up to double its weight in moisture. This makes it perfect for replenishing and moisturizing dry skin.
- Vitamin B - to improve your skin barrier and reduce environmental damage, vitamin B will make your skin appear less dull, reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation, refine skin texture and fight acne.
- Peptides- are building blocks for our skin proteins. They help your skin heal and regenerate new cells
- Antioxidants - An unproblematic favorite, antioxidants rehydrate the skin to keep the barrier working at an optimum while protecting cells so your skin is cared for from the inside out.
Having healthy skin can boost your confidence and you deserve that. Take care of your skin barrier and it will take care of you.